Running for selection during a pandemic

 


I should start this blog by saying that I have never actually taken part as a potential candidate in a 'normal' Parliamentary or Senedd selection process. Last year, I 'ran' to be the candidate for Cardiff Central for the Lib Dems in the snap election. I use inverted commas because it was an extremely shortened process that did not really allow for much, if any, campaigning. Canvassing for votes was basically reliant on who you already knew and had in your list of contacts - whether that be on your phone, in Messenger, or whatever else. More recently, I ran to be the Cardiff Central candidate for the Lib Dems for the Senedd elections next year. In the end, I came second in both races - although last year the second place was on a coin toss, so that is more luck than an achievement. 

This time the process was a lot longer, but still far from normal. Due to Covid-19, we couldn't talk to people face-to-face, and we couldn't have an in-person hustings. With that in mind, and knowing or suspecting that much of the campaign next year will be fought online, I chose to use this an opportunity to push myself to learn new skills, while also making use of the more traditional campaigning tools such as letter writing and making phone calls. 

For me, it was important throughout to recognise the context within which this selection was taking place. Hence the photos of me in masks (something I will continue to advocate doing, in the relevant contexts) and the policy positions I promoted, most of which were in response to the times we find ourselves in. On reflection, I don't regret doing this, although I do now recognise that some people are clearly more over it than they should be, or else aren't ready to consider how much this time has changed a lot of us.

I think it is important to talk about these sorts of experiences, because so much of what happens in the internal world of politics is such a mystery to those outside it. And we're never going to encourage a broader range of people to get involved if we don't demystify how we get into these positions, by talking about both the good elements, and the bad, as well as the more practical side of things. 

The selection process was to go on for weeks, so as soon as I got sight of the time table, I planned out a schedule of what content I wanted to create, and when, using which channels and messages, taking into account key deadlines such as when the virtual hustings was, and when ballots would be sent out. I figured out which photos I needed, based on what issues I wanted to talk about, and roped one of my best friends and my partner into taking photos of me. 

Rather than start out with a manifesto, I drafted a letter, which was hosted online and emailed out, as well as printed and hand delivered by myself to the couple hundred households who could vote. Our party has recently switched to a new design software, so I took this as an opportunity to start to get to grips with using it, making use of templates provided by HQ on our Google Drive. A letter header seemed the simplest thing to get my head around as a starting point, and a letter felt quite personal, as an introduction to myself and what I would be standing for. 

Delivering these letters was a pain in the backside. It is not like usual delivery, which is normally every single household, or even a targeted list or postal voters, it was so much worse. Especially as someone who does not drive. I can only imagine how much longer this process would have been if I also had to try and canvass people door to door. I did cheat a little by buying stamps and posting some, mostly where people lived in flats which were difficult to access. But that was fine because the budget for the campaign was £150 and I only used about a dozen stamps in the end.

Hopefully by now, you are starting to see how demanding this process is. In terms of skills, time, and money. And not everyone has equal amounts of these at their disposal. All therefore act as barriers to participation, some of which can be overcome by support from other party members or organisations set up within the party to support candidates from specific backgrounds, but even with those things available to you, the process is still time consuming and daunting. So, you can begin to see how our internal workings of democracy make things easier for some than others, even before you become a candidate.

None of this is a complaint, it is just an observation. It is just a fact. 

The virtual hustings were an interesting experience, and actually I think I was much more suited to that than the in-person hustings I took part in last year. However, I have since found out the viewing figures were quite low, which does not surprise me since the whole thing was about 90 minutes long. For this reason, I clipped sections of the video, and uploaded them to YouTube, to host on my website. That was another couple things I did for the first time ever as part of this process; editing and uploading videos, creating a manifesto video, and designing a website (albeit one based off a template). 

I did not start making phone calls until just before ballots went out. In hindsight, this was a mistake. In my mind, though, I wanted to talk to people after I had delivered all of the letters, so that I had something to open the conversation with, and a basis from which people could ask questions. Generally, I do think this approach worked well, however in future I would probably just blow a huge chunk of my budget on postage, to save time that could be used to talk to people instead. 

I felt awkward about phoning people as part of this selection. Firstly because of, you know, the pandemic. I was afraid some people would just think it was inappropriate. And there were some people for whom the selection process was the very last thing on their mind. But most people I spoke to seemed quite keen to discuss politics. I think that is something we overlook, in political parties, is that members want to talk about politics sometimes, not just help get people elected. It proved a useful exercise in finding out where people's heads are at, and I found that even where some people did not agree with me, they were still interested to hear my viewpoints. 

The other reason I felt awkward was because it is a hugely exposing thing to do. Putting yourself out there, even on a small scale such as this, declaring what you believe in and want to achieve, and asking people to support you. Not as part of a team, but you, on your own. Sure, it is nothing compared to an actual election, and if anything, party members should be the friendliest, most supportive people you will speak to. 

But I am a great believe in leaning into the uncomfortable, and that if something scares you, it usually means that you care about it, and that there's growth to be had in doing it. 

The other barrier that I have not talked about, is the one staring us in the face. The pandemic. Like everyone else, I have been affected by it, mostly emotionally and mentally. Some days it is an uphill battle just to deal with what existence means right now, let alone actually achieving anything or making any progress. So early on, I made the decision to prioritise my mental and physical health. Yes, I wanted to win, but not at the expense of my own health and wellbeing. Because nothing is worth that. 

So apart from a letter, videos, a website and phone calls, there were also two emails that I composed, a blog post I wrote, a digital leaflet I designed, and various social media posts that supportive party members shared to Facebook for me (I haven't been on Facebook since June, and it is glorious not to have the toxicity from that platform taking up space in my mind rent free). I also started an Instagram and TikTok account (I have yet to post anything to the latter because I find the space both fascinating and terrifying).

Because like I said, I believe the election next year will be fought largely in the digital space, and we have to recognise as political parties that we can't just rely on Facebook and Twitter, especially when it comes to engaging those under the age of 25, and 16 & 17 year olds who will be voting for the first time next year. But also, you know, Facebook is terrible, and we should probably stop engaging with a platform that has actively participated in damaging democracy. 

The final thing I wanted to talk about is prejudice. Because even as a woman of 33, the issue of my age came up. Now I know I look young, but even if I was as young as some members thought I was, so what? Age should not be a factor. All that matters is that the person is old enough to stand. Incidentally, that should have been my answer when someone asked how old I was. I was also deemed to be 'alternative' which I actually see as a compliment, because I deliberately chose to talk about radical policy positions, since I believe it's important to be clear about what you stand for, especially at a time when the status quo is so very unfit for purpose.

But I also accept that for some people, who do not feel the unfairness of the world we live in, these ideas be a threat, and so they will not support them. That is fine. I've always said that I don't want to change who I am or what I am about to fit some mould, because that way lies compromising my values of authenticity, honesty and integrity, which are so intrinsic to who I am as a person. And if that means I never get chosen to be a leader, then so be it, at least I will be able to live with the decisions I have made. 

On the flip side, I did get called impressive, and I was told I was admired (even though I didn't have the right level of experience - a word I hate, and find to be a double edged sword, but whatever), and someone even went so far as to say I would be missed as a councillor. (Currently you can be a Member of the Senedd and a councillor, but personally I think it's wrong to double dip out of the public purse in such a way, and besides, it sounds exhausting, and potentially a conflict of interest too. Not to mention it prevents another person from getting a chance to represent their community. It is a big no from me). 

I hope this blog has provided some insight into the selection processes conducted by political parties to choose their candidates for selections. And even if no-one finds this useful, it will at least be a reference point for me in the future. I will be running for selection again in the future because I am stubborn and driven and strong willed. But for now, I am going to focus on trying to drive policy change in my party, continue to agitate where I see things I disagree with, and do my best as a local councillor for my ward. 


Comments